- Slang is a language that rolls up its sleeves, spits on its hands and goes to work.
- I tell you the past is a bucket of ashes, so live not in your yesterdays, no just for tomorrow, but in the here and now. Keep moving and forget the post mortems; and remember, no one can get the jump on the future.
- Sometime theyll give a war and nobody will come.
- Poetry is the achievement of the synthesis of hyacinths and biscuits.
- One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude.
- In these times you have to be an optimist to open your eyes when you wake in the morning.
- Who put up that cage?Who hung it up with bars, doors?Why do those on the inside want to get out?Why do those outside want to get in?What is this crying inside and out all the time?What is this endless, useless beating of baffled wings at these bars, doors, this cage?
- Nothing happens unless first a dream.
- I am an idealist. I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way.
- Pile the bodies high at Austerlitz and Waterloo. Shovel them under and let me workI am the grass; I cover all. And pile them high at GettysburgAnd pile them high at Ypres and Verdun. Shovel them under and let me work. Two years, ten years, and passengers ask the conductor:What place is this?Where are we now?I am the grass. Let me work.
- A baby is God's opinion that life should go on.
- Poetry is the journal of a sea animal living on land, wanting to fly in the sky.
- The republic is a dreamNothing happens unless first a dream.
- I have written some poetry that I don't understand myself.
- The sea speaks a language polite people never repeat. It is a colossal scavenger slang and has no respect.
- Not often in the story of mankind does a man arrive on earth who is both steel and velvet, who is as hard as rock and soft as drifting fog, who holds in his heart and mind the paradox of terrible storm and peace unspeakable and perfect.
- The greatest cunning is to have none at all.
- Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you.
- A baby is Gods opinion that life should go on.
- Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance.
- I see America, not in the setting sun of a black night of despair ahead of us, I see America in the crimson light of a rising sun fresh from the burning, creative hand of God. I see great days ahead, great days possible to men and women of will and vision
- If she [America] forgets where she came from, if the people lose sight of what brought them along, if she listens to the deniers and mockers, then will begin the rot and dissolution.
- I never made a mistake in grammar but one in my life and as soon as I done it I seen it.
- Sometime they'll give a war and nobody will come.
- The time for action is now. It's never too late to do something.